spacerArtarmon Progress Association Logo
     Established 1914
decor line     Home Home | LinksLinks | Contact Us Contact Us


News and Events

Gazette Article

Artarmon’s development since 1913



The APA has prepared a display for the 2013 heritage festival which will be on show at the Artarmon Library throughout May 2013.

After the land grants to British soldiers in 1796, the Artarmon area grew slowly from its initial timber cutting and land clearing activities into farming until the late 1890s.

The railway line from St Leonards to Hornsby was opened in 1890 and extended to Milsons Point by 1893. A railway station was opened at Artarmon in July 1898 and local land owners shortly afterwards began subdividing the land for residential purposes.

By 1913, Artarmon village had grown to a stage where 15 of the 21 allotments on Hampden Rd, between Jersey Rd and Brand St, had been developed.

Apart from the PR Cook Real Estate building at 26 Elizabeth St (northern corner of Wilkes Ave), there were no commercial buildings on the eastern side of the railway line at that time.

By 1913, about 250 houses stood on the western side and a similar number on the eastern side. The next stage of subdivision development did not occur until after WWI. Most of the remaining allotments were sold between 1918 and 1930.

The date of the initial sale of every allotment in Artarmon has been collated by the APA and, with the assistance of council, a colour coded map has been prepared illustrating the progression of the Artarmon residential precincts from 1870 onwards. The map is at the heritage festival display.

A Methodist Church was built in Dickson Ave in 1910, St Basil’s Church in Broughton Rd in 1912 and the Presbyterian Church in Artarmon Road in 1926.

Artarmon Public School opened in 1910, Artarmon School of Arts in 1918, Artarmon and District Tennis Club in 1918, Artarmon Scouts Hall in Cleland Park in 1919, St Basil’s Tennis Club in Cleland Park in1922, Artarmon Masonic Hall in 1923, St Basil’s Institute in 1926, Girl Guides Hall in Cleland Park in 1931, Cleland Tennis Club in Cleland Park 1932, Artarmon Bowling Club in 1955, Artarmon Scouts Hall, Hampden Rd in 1956 and the old Artarmon Community Library in 1956.

The APA and its predecessors were active from as early as 1906. The APA has continued its advocacy for Artarmon residents ever since, suspending activities for only small periods during the two World Wars.

Artarmon has gone through many changes over the past 100 years, But there have also been many constants, with numerous current businesses having traded in Artarmon Village for 30 years.

The pharmacy at 96 Hampden Rd is now in its 100th year of trading, having been opened by George Francis Willoughby Musson on February 26, 1914. The pharmacy has only had five owners in this period, Musson, Thomas Hunter Johnston, Des Dale, James and Olwen Watson and Nick Logan.

Butchers have traded continuously at 102 Hampden Rd since 1912. It has had many owners over the years. Jackson Classic Butchery traded there for 34 years and Doughty Family Butchery for 20 years. Current owners are Steve and Waty Koch.

by Adrian Alexander

Courtesy of Gazette May 2013
arrow Previous -  Next arrow

 

Logan Pharmacy
Nick Logan pharmacist ... 5th at 96 Hampden Rd in 100 years
Photo: APA

 
 


 

 

 

 
   
    Home | About Us | News and Events | Artarmon Gazette | Artarmon Fair | Young Artarmon
Heritage and Conservation | Local Information | Links and Sponsors | Contact Us
© 2017 - Artarmon Progress Association Inc.
Website terms of use.