spacerArtarmon Progress Association Logo
     Established 1914
decor line     Home Home | LinksLinks | Contact Us Contact Us


News and Events

Gazette Article

Celebrating Artarmon’s 100-year past



APA is opening an exhibition on May 2 at the new Artarmon Library during the NSW Heritage Festival to celebrate Artarmon’s development over the past 100 years.

This year, Artarmon will celebrate 100 years of continuous trading by the pharmacy on the corner of Broughton and Hampden roads.

The business has only had five owners during the period. A butcher shop also has traded at 102 Hampden Rd since 1913. That shop has had at least 13 owners over the 100-year period.

In 1913, Artarmon was a relatively small community. Subdivision of residential land started in 1899 and by the end of 1912, 280 lots had been sold on the west side of the railway line and 247 on the east side.

On the west side, land sold was bounded by Jersey Rd in the south, Mowbray Rd in the north and Rimmington St in the west. Broughton and Kitchener roads formed the north and south boundaries west of Buller Rd. By 1920, this precinct was fully developed.

Development on the east side was mainly along Mowbray Rd, Raleigh St, Drake St, Cambridge Rd, Coree Rd, Elizabeth St, southern parts of Muttama, Tindale and Carlos roads, the western part of Artarmon Rd (northside), Cameron Ave and Harden Rd. The rest of the land was vacant and progressively subdivided in an easterly direction through to the 1930s.
In 1913, the Artarmon village in Hampden Rd, between Jersey Rd and Brand St had 11 shops, five houses and nine vacant lots. There was a general store-post office on the corner of Broughton Rd and Hampden Rd (now 7-Eleven), a pharmacy on the opposite corner where Nick Logan’s Pharmacist Advice currently trades, a butcher at 102 Hampden Rd, a drapery store at 146 Hampden and at least one Real Estate Agent.

Several brickworks operated between Broughton Rd and the Royal North Shore Hospital, shared with some workers’ dwellings in Hotham Pde, Whiting St, Dickson Ave and Carlotta St. The biggest brickworks were operated by North Sydney Brick and Tile Company Ltd; Butcher Bros & Co; and Northern Suburbs Brick Company.

The Railway Station opened in 1898, the Methodist Church in Dickson Ave in 1909; the public school in 1910; the drill hall in Broughton Rd, which later became the Artarmon School of Arts in 1918 and St Basil’s Church Hall in 1926, was established about 1910; St Basil’s Anglican Church in 1912; the Artarmon Masonic Hall in 1923; the Cleland Tennis Club in 1924; the Presbyterian Church in 1925; and the Artarmon Bowling Club in 1946.

There are many businesses in the village that have been serving the community for more than 50 years, including the Post Office (1924); Government Savings Bank of NSW-Commonwealth Bank (1924); Artarmon Library (1956); Artarmon Fruit Market (1934); Gillespies (1963); the fish shop (1940); the newsagent (1921); and more.

The APA history project team would like to hear from businesses in the industrial area that have operated in Artarmon for more than 30 years (including those under multiple owners). The team would also appreciate an opportunity to copy and return any photographs of activities  – both business and social – which illustrate the times they were taken. 

Similarly, we would appreciate long-term residents reviewing their photo albums and memorabilia for any Artarmon-related social events (both community and family events) which could add interest to our Heritage Festival exhibition which will be announced soon.

* If you are interested in contributing, please contact Adrian on 0401 644 052 or Katie on 9419 3936 or email history@artarmonprogress.org.au

by Adrian Alexander

Courtesy of Gazette February 2013
arrow Previous -  Next arrow

 

Artarmon Shops
Artarmon shops 1910 ... 100 years ago
Photo: WCC Library

 
 


 

 

 

 
   
    Home | About Us | News and Events | Artarmon Gazette | Artarmon Fair | Young Artarmon
Heritage and Conservation | Local Information | Links and Sponsors | Contact Us
© 2017 - Artarmon Progress Association Inc.
Website terms of use.