Amazing Stories: Artarmon Post Office
This is the first in a series of "Amazing Stories" to be published in the Artarmon Gazette as part of APA's history website project (see APA needs your help on historic project, p8). Former head of the APA heritage committee Marianne Nestor and her team Katie Walshe, Margot MacKay and Helen Wheeler, oversaw the Artarmon shopping precinct history project.
Courtesy of Gazette August 2011
1909: The first Artarmon Post Office opens in a general store where 7-Eleven is now located. Mr Greatrex who ran the store was the first postmaster.
1909: James Hall takes over as general store operator and postmaster.
1915: Hall, as postmaster also becomes agent for Commonwealth of Australia Savings Bank Dept (the Australian Post Office became agent for Commonwealth Bank in 1912).
1921: Smith James becomes general store operator and Artarmon Post Office gets a postmistress, Miss AM Lisle, who is also responsible for the Commonwealth Bank agency.
1923: The general store and post office moves down the street, to where the present post office is now. James continues to operate the general store and Lisle remains postmistress and agent for the Commonwealth Bank.
1925: A post office is built and Lisle stays on as postmistress.
1929: GW Hancock PM takes over as postmaster.
1973: The post office is demolished and rebuilt on the same location.